Applying for building consent
Building consent and code compliance certificate applications can now be submitted online.
Save time online with self-service building consent applications - paper applications are no longer required. Our new online building consent system allows you to submit, manage and track applications for both building consents and code compliance certificates, from anywhere, at any time.
You will need:
- all documents in PDF format, to scale, unlocked
- certificate of title*
- supporting documents specifically relating to this project
* Note: the certificate of title must be less than three months old. Title can be obtained from LINZ website at a cost of $15. If the site is new and does not yet have a Title, then a subdivision scheme plan is required. Council do not provide copies of titles.
Submit the application:
- You must first register in the AlphaOne system. A step-by-step video of the registration process and how to submit an application is available here
- Registration is a two-step process. Once registered, you will receive an email which will allow you to verity and complete the sign up process. Once verified, you will be able to sign in and create an application.
- You will need to select the application type you want to submit, then follow the prompts on the screen. Blue information buttons will give further information throughout the process.
Support available: Phone 0800 257 424
Technical support is available from AlphaOne. Freephone 0800 257 424.
- The owner, or agent (with appropriate authorisation) may submit the application
- The applicant is responsible for identifying which building code clauses are relevant, and how the project will comply
- Click the "Apply Online" button to register a new login, or to submit an application
Although we do not recommend this option, it is possible to submit your application in person.
A lodgement meeting with the Duty Building Officer is required to submit a paper application. Please phone 03 546 0200 for an appointment.
Once a consent has been issued building work must commence within twelve (12) months of the date of issue. If it does not, the consent will lapse and a new consent must be applied for unless an extension of further time to commence work has been applied for and approved by the Building Consent Authority.