New Zealand is currently at ORANGE on the COVID-19 Protection Framework.

Enrolling to Vote

To vote in a local body election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer roll. This page explains the process.

You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
  • have lived at your current address for more than one month.

Residential Roll

All parliamentary electors are automatically enrolled on the local body residential roll at the address where they live. A confirmation card will be issued to all parliamentary electors during July 2019.

Any changes to the residential roll (e.g. change of address details) should be made by 

  • Completing the appropriate form at any NZ Post Shop
  • Telephoning 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
  • Nelson Public Libraries
  • Accessing the Enrolment Services, Electoral Commission website on

See a list of available post boxes in Nelson.

Ratepayer Roll

If a person is on the parliamentary roll in one area and pays rates on a property in another area, they may be eligible to be enrolled on the non-resident ratepayer roll. A firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property, may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (providing the nominated person and the nominee both reside outside the area). Find out more on our Non-resident Ratepayer page.