There are occasions when some voters may need to complete a special vote, rather than use the voting documents that are sent through to most voters by post.
You may apply for a Special Vote if you:
- Were not on the Parliamentary Roll before 16 August 2019, or
- Are away during the voting period, or
- Are on the Unpublished Roll, or
- If you haven’t received your voting papers by Friday 27 September, or
- If you spoil your voting paper and cannot make your voting intention clear.
If you enrolled as a parliamentary elector before 16 August 2019, your Local Government Election voting documents will be sent through the post to you. If you haven’t enrolled as a parliamentary elector yet, it’s still not too late, you can enrol any time up until Friday 11 October 2019, at the address you have lived at for at least one month. Once you have enrolled you can apply for a Special Vote to vote in the Local Elections.
Application forms for parliamentary enrolments are available from all NZ Post outlets, Nelson Public Libraries and the Council Customer Service Centre. Applicants can also enrol or amend their address details on-line at www.elections.org.nz or by phoning 0800 36 76 56.
Special Voting for the 2019 triennial local body elections will take place between Friday 20 September and noon on Saturday 12 October 2019.
You can request a Special Vote or to find out more information about special voting by contacting the Nelson City Council office on:
- Telephone: 03 546 0200
- In person: At the Council Customer Service Centre which is located at the corner of Trafalgar and Halifax Streets.
Once completed you can post your Special Vote in the envelope provided (last date for postal voting is Tuesday 8 October 2019) or drop it into a ballot box at the following places:
- Nelson City Council Office, corner of Trafalgar and Halifax Streets, Nelson
- Elma Turner Library, 27 Halifax Street, Nelson
- Stoke Library, 35 Putaitai Street, Stoke
- Nightingale Memorial Library, 2 Beach Road, Tahunanui