Reducing waste at events
Avoiding creating waste is a great opportunity to enhance the profile of your event and reduce your impact on the environment.
To help you plan, a useful 'How To Reduce Waste at Events' information guide (1.1MB PDF) is available.
These resources cover:
- What a zero waste event looks like and how to organise it
- Common barriers and how to overcome them
- How taking responsibility for waste will make your event shine
- Cutting waste out of your system
- Reusable solutions and learning which containers will suit your event
- Capitalising on sponsorship opportunities
- How to become a leader in event waste minimisation
There are also some great ‘how to’ videos to help you plan and deliver a great waste-free event.
You can download signage for bins below:
- Waste – Para (14KB PDF)
- Recycle – Hangarua (18KB PDF)
- Foodscraps – Para Kai (sign includes paper plates, serviettes, wooden cutlery) (15KB PDF)
- Glass – Kōata (16KB PDF)
- Compostable Plastics (16KB PDF)
- Coffee Cups and Lids Go Here (for use in conjunction with other signs) (13KB PDF)
To learn more about what can be recycled check out our Kerbside Recycling Service. You can also learn more about compostable plastic.
Greenwaste to Zero can accept some ‘compostable’ items at their discretion (please see the pictures below). However, FOOD MUST BE REMOVED FROM THESE ITEMS (staff will reject any load which is contaminated by food so please make sure plates are scraped off before they go to be composted). Please also note that any compostable item which resembles plastic cannot be accepted as it takes too long to process.
COMPOSTABLE COFFEE CUPS WILL BE ACCEPTED, BUT NOT COMPOSTABLE LIDS AS THEY TAKE TOO LONG TO BREAK DOWN.
Please contact Greenwaste to Zero on 03 544 8857 before taking your event waste to them. Disposal charges apply.
If you have any questions about how Council supports the reduction of waste or would like some advice on your event, firstname.lastname@example.org