Sewer rehabilitation - various locations
|Project Manager:||Nelson City Council|
|Duration:||February - May 2019|
This project is now completed.
What we are doing
Council will be rehabilitating the sewer line in various locations around the city. They include sections of Hardy Street, Achilles Avenue, Wakatu Lane, Halifax Street, Collingwood Street and Bronte Street.
Each site will be tackled in turn with all expected to be completed by mid-May.
The work will be done using a trenchless liner method called Cured-In-Place-Pipe (CIPP).
This methodology briefly involves the following steps:
- Gaining access to the existing manholes or access points along the pipeline.
- Inspect the pipeline section between the two access points, using a CCTV pipeline camera.
- Clean the section of pipeline with a high-pressure water jet and remove any obstructions.
- Install a flexible liner down the section of pipeline.
- Expand the liner to fit firmly into the existing pipeline. This is done using either water or air pressure. Once the liner has set, the pressure is released.
- Reconnect any house/building laterals that drain into the pipe.
The completed liner will ensure a watertight pipeline for the next 50+ years without the need to dig up the road, minimising disruption to residents and businesses.
Work on Hardy and Halifax Streets will be carried out at night to further minimise disruption.
Why we are doing it
Due to age, parts of the existing sewer network are beginning to deteriorate. Instead of removing and replacing the entire system, Council will install a new pipe within the existing one. This is a less invasive and more cost-effective solution, which will provide a better service and extend the life of the system by 50+ years.
Work will move from site to site but is expected to take approximately two weeks are each location. Any residents or business likely to be affected by the work will be contacted by the contractor to advise when work is likely to start.
Traffic management measures will be implemented to allow safe and efficient installation of the pipe liner. Access to properties will be possible during working hours, however, parking will be restricted at times to allow access to manholes. The contractor will make contact closer to the time, advising of any parking restrictions.