Christmas Tree Competition
To celebrate our Christmas season Nelson City Council is calling for submissions of concepts to bring a very Nelsonian Christmas tree to life!
The Christmas tree should bring life and interest to the Church Steps over the Christmas period. We want it to engage locals and visitors alike with a Nelson-twist on the Christmas spirit.
Designs must demonstrate an understanding and reflection of the following:
- It must be an artistic response; it can be abstract but must be easily read as a Christmas tree
- The essence of Christmas should be explored without a commercial focus
- It must connect with the Nelson identity
- The use of recyclable materials is encouraged
- It must be easily installed, dismantled and stored
- Repeat use is desirable
- It can incorporate lighting but must make an impact during daylight hours
- It should relate to the wider area of the Cathedral and Church Steps
- The concept should bring life and interest to the street level and engage visitors and surrounding businesses
Entries will be judged by a panel. The panel will be made up of members of the Arts Council, Council Officers and members of our community. They will assess the submitted designs and select the best match against the specified requirements.
The selected design will then be commissioned for further detailed design, fabrication and installation. The artwork shall be ready to be installed by the end of November 2017.
You can submit a single image or a PDF or Word document. All files must be less than 20MBs.
Submissions have now closed.