Rutherford and Trafalgar Parks redevelopment
Feedback on the Development Plan for Trafalgar and Rutherford Parks was gatherned through the Long Term Plan. The nod has also been given to the plan for the Maitai Walkway upgrade to proceed for detailed design with the aim of starting construction in 2012/13.
The Maitai Walkway upgrade plan includes:
- Landings (to access the water)
- Planted river edges
- Ramp access to the river
- Tidal terraces
- Bridged decks
- A small riverside park
- A river edge deck
Thanks for your thoughts
Public feedback on how we should be using this area has been collected over the past few years, starting with the Heart of Nelson Strategy in 2009. The most recent conversations with residents and groups using the parks have seen many considerations built in to the Plan. These include:
- Changes proposed to Haven Road
- Improved connections through the parks
- Pedestrian/cycle path widened
- New pedestrian links between Rutherford Park and ANZAC Park (across Halifax Street).
- Proposed change to the entry to the Trafalgar Centre
- Changes to the location and uses of proposed community facilities
Council will hear submissions and make decisions on the Long Term Plan by the end of June. It is due to be officially adopted by Council on 19 July. Following those decisions we'll know more about the future progress of this project.
Area under redevelopment