Take a pleasant stroll through Fairfield Park, formerly one of Nelson’s first cemeteries created in 1851.
The park has a number of heritage trees and more recent plantings of camellia groves.
The Park closed for burials in 1910 and this walk highlights some early settlers graves with legible gravestones as well as later memorials added to the Park. Council’s cemeteries database lists all persons originally buried here.
For more stories, and other heritage walks go to www.thePROW.org.nz or www.nelson.govt.nz/recreation/recreation/walks-and-walkways/heritage-walks