12 - Fountain Walk
This is a short walk through areas of historical significance, combining visits to the site where the first European settlers came ashore, one of Nelson's older residential streets, Matangi Awhea (the site of ancient Maori activity and occupation) and great views.
Time: 45 minutes
Area: Port Hills
Start Location: Start from Anzac Park, corner Halifax Street and Haven Road.
Cross Halifax Street at Saltwater Creek and follow the path down to the Trafalgar Centre. Turn left across the bridge to Haven Road. Until reclamation during the 1950s, Haven Road marked the waterfront - the stone wall visible on Saltwater Creek continues all the way around the former waterfront and beyond.
Turn right and follow Haven Road across QEII Drive and Vickerman Street to the fuel depot and the monument marking the first European landing.
Cross Haven Road and retrace your steps back to Fountain Place. Formerly called Beachville Street this is now an historic precinct. Sailors used to roll barrels up the hill here to replenish their water supplies at a spring in the grassed area at the top (now a communal outdoor area), adjacent to the last house on the left, Beachville, which was built in 1862.
Take the pedestrian path behind Beachville House to Beachville Crescent. Turn right and continue to Stanley Crescent. Turn left and walk up and over the top before taking the track down through Matangi Awhea.
A recreation area planted and maintained by Nelson's Maori community through the Wakatu Incorporation, for the benefit of all Nelsonians. A panel at the bottom explains the significance of the area.
Cross to the Moller Fountain and turn right to return to Anzac Park. Dorothea Louisa Moller wanted this fountain (in memory of her husband) to be erected in Anzac Park. The Council didn't agree and eventually the Haven Road site was selected.