Waste Minimisation Grant 2022
This is Nelson City Council's annual waste minimisation grant programme. This funding round will open in February 2022.
If you have an idea on how we can avoid or reduce the amount of waste going to landfill and support a community where people choose not to create waste, Nelson City Council would like to help you to make it happen.
Up to $40,000 (maximum grant size $10,000) is available to encourage people (as individuals, community organisations and businesses) to take action to avoid or reduce waste, or to close the loop on valuable resources being reused rather than going to landfill.
Examples of suitable projects might support include workplace waste audits to develop waste reduction plans, workshops and education programmes, materials and equipment, project implementation costs or feasibility studies.
Projects will be scored against the following evaluation factors:
- Where does the project fit in the waste hierarchy (avoid, reduce, reuse, recycle)?
- What is the objective (goal) of your project, and how will this be measured?
- Your ability to deliver this project
- Will the project result either in a new activity, or a significant expansion of an existing activity?
Applications across all areas of waste minimisation are welcome, but we have a particular interest in projects focusing on the following areas:
- Diverting building waste from landfill
- Reducing food waste
We also wish to see evidence of mātauranga Māori (the Māori world view) being considered where applicable.
Applicants applying for grants of over $5000 are required to discuss their project before applying with an Environmental Programmes Advisor – please email email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of officers with specialist experience, and applicants will be invited to speak to their applications if they wish.
Please note that waste minimisation at events, small grants below $500, and support for Repair Cafes and Other Repair Activities are not included in this scheme. Find out more about these separate grant programmes.
Previous projects funded by Nelson City Council:
- Chia Sisters – Purchase of reusable pallet covers (link to video)
- RefillNZ – Nelson Refill Challenge
- Bridge Valley - Purchase of reusable lunch boxes for Stoke School lunches
- St Stephens Church – support for Silver Service Repair Café
- Mutu - Promotion of sharing platform in Nelson region
- Chia Sisters – Purchase of Kegerator for use by local beverage organisations to encourage a ‘refill’ culture
- Nelson Farmers Market – packaging reduction project
- Wash Against Waste – increase capacity of Wash Against Waste trailer for larger events
- Tahunanui Community Centre – development of reduce/reuse information hub
- Ideal Cups – Promotion of new Cupcycling app
- Nelson Tasman Climate Forum waste group – delivery of four Repair Cafes
Many other Councils provide waste minimisation grants – you can find examples of projects from other areas here:
Our Waste Management and Minimisation Plan has more information about Council and solid waste.
This funding round will open in February 2022.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions.