Environmental Grants Scheme
If you are a group or individual working to improve the health of our environment, you may be eligible for an Environmental Grant.
The Environmental Grants Scheme provides an opportunity to apply for funding to support projects that improve the environment. Awards are granted in two categories: grants up to a value of $5,000 (Category One) and grants from $5,000 -$20,000 (Category Two). Suitable projects may also be eligible for support over more than one year.
Support can be in the form of money, professional ecological advice, and/or native plants, as specified in individual funding agreements.
The fund will focus on individual and community projects that do great things for our environment, especially in the areas below:
- Protecting existing native biodiversity on private and public land (i.e. weeding, planting, fencing, possum control, goat control)
- Restoring connections between native ecosystems (i.e. native planting to connect or extend fragmented ecosystems)
- Enhancing native wildlife through predator control (e.g. community trapping projects on private and public land)
- Enhancing habitat for native wildlife within the Nelson Halo and coastal ecosystems
- Restoring riparian margins
- Reducing erosion on farming and forestry land
- Reducing sediment or contaminants in freshwater.
There are three annual funding rounds for Category One (August, November and March) and one main round for Category Two (August).
Applications for the next funding round (Category One only) close Monday 30 March 2020.
Successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement, and report on the delivery of the project.
For more information on the scheme and to make an application, see our Information for Environmental Grant Applicants page.
If your project involves work in a Significant Natural Area or one of Council’s Parks or Reserves, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 539 5564 to discuss your application before completing an application form.