Waahi Taakaro Golf Course
336 Maitai Valley Rd, Nelson, New Zealand
Play Nelson’s hidden gem of a course set in the peaceful and picturesque Maitai Valley just ten minutes from the centre of the city.
Waahi Taakaro means place of play in Maori and golf doesn’t get much more relaxed than this.
Our lovely tree-lined and well-maintained layout has great views of the valley and the river that winds through it and provides an interesting and fair test for golfer of all abilities. It is particularly stunning in spring and autumn when the trees are at their best.
Be charmed by the tui, kereru, kingfisher, quail and ducks that create an all-day chorus and the eels and trout that swim in the river.
We encourage everyone, from ratepayers and residents to visitors to experience our piece of paradise. Those learning the game and juniors are particularly welcome
Come play where the golf is fun and affordable. We have a well-stocked golf shop and clubs, trundlers and carts for hire.
- 9 holes: $18
- 18 holes: $23
- Juniors (primary/intermediate/secondary school students): $7
- 3 month concession $138
- 6 month concession $230
- 12 month concession $345
- Members of a NZ affiliated golf club get a 20% discount on green fees
- Gold Card holders get a 20% discount on green fees.
- Nelson and Hanmer Springs Golf Club members get substantial reciprocal discounts. Inquire at the golf shop.
There is an honesty box for green fees when the golf shop is closed.
- Cart 9 holes: $20 for affiliated club members, $30 for casual players
- Cart 18 holes: $30 for affiliated club members, $40 for casual players
- Cart 9/18 holes: $10 for Waahi Taakaro club members
- Trundlers: $4
- Full set 9 holes: $20
- Full set 18 holes: $30
- Junior sets: $10
Group fees (non-exclusive use of course for 13-36 players)
- Winter (April 1 to October 31): $7.70 per player
- Summer (November 1 to March 31): $15.40 per player
Course hire fees (exclusive use of the course)
- Winter (April 1 to October 31): Monday to Friday - half day $300, full day $600; weekends and public holidays - half day $400, full day $800
- Summer (November 1 to March 31): Monday to Friday - half day $500, full day $1000; weekends and public holidays - half days $600, full day $1200
Course opening hours
As the course is owned and maintained by the Nelson City Council, it is open to the public every day of the week, except Christmas Day. It is closed to the public on Saturday mornings from 10am (frost permitting) to 2pm from April 1 to October 31 for club play or when the course is booked for club tournaments or private events. These will be clearly notified in advance.
The club also holds competitions on Saturday morning from 9am to 1.30pm from November 1 to March 31 and on Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings throughout the year. During this time the course is open to green fee players and concession card ticket holders who will be slotted into the field where there are gaps. Those with bookings will have priority. Tee time bookings can be made through the golf shop 03 5487301 or email email@example.com.
To check whether the course is open to play golf (especially if there has been heavy rain) please call 03 548 7301.
There is ample parking and public toilets available by the clubrooms.
It is open from 8am to 7pm during daylight saving summer time and from 9am to 4pm the rest of the year. The shop sells drinks and snacks, and golf balls, tees, clothing and other gear. This is where you go to hire clubs, trundlers and carts.
All players must report to the golf shop before teeing off to pay any fees owing, get a scorecard and to receive any course information.
The staff and the club manager can also help you plan an event or tournament should you wish to hire the course and/or the clubrooms. They can cater for Christmas get-togethers, work functions and fundraising/sponsored events. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit waahitaakarogolfclub.co.nz or ring 02 548 7301 or 03 548 7771 for more information.
Waahi Taakaro Golf Club
Visit us at www.waahitaakarogolfclub.co.nz
The club – which prides itself on being the friendliest, most down to earth and affordable in the region - operates the golf shop and a clubrooms with changing rooms, lockers, toilets, lounge, bar and kitchen which is open 4/5 days a week. Visitors are most welcome to use the facilities and join in club competitions. The clubrooms are for hire for functions, seminars and other events.
The club has memberships to suit everyone, from 3 to 12 months for both 9-hole and 18-hole members at modest prices.
Among the benefits of club membership are:
- Unlimited access to the golf course
- An official NZ golf handicap
- Cheaper green fee rates at many NZ courses as an affiliated club member
- A well organised and varied programme of club competitions, tournaments and visits
- Entry to numerous vets events around the Nelson district at cheap rates
- Eligible to play inter-club, district and rep golf and other tournaments
- Comfortable clubrooms
There is a putting green in front of the golf shop, practice nets by the clubrooms and a practice area to the left of No 10 tee. Please don’t practise on the course.
The club can organise either individual or group lessons for both ladies and men, from beginners to more experienced players. To register or for more information contact the club manager at Waahi Taakaro Golf Club by emailing email@example.com or calling 03 548 7771 or by ringing the golf shop 03 548 7301. The club also runs regular coaching sessions and open days for junior, women and other golfers.
We would ask all players to:
- Repair pitch marks on greens
- Replace divots
- Watch flight of partner’s ball and note where they finish
- Remain motionless and silent while others are preparing to hit
- When attending the flag, keep your feet as far from the hole as possible
- Smooth out foot and divot marks in bunkers with the rakes provided.
- Do not mark cards on greens, wait until you are on the next tee
- Keep your caddy carts off the greens
- Try to keep up with the field. If you cannot, then call following players through
- Keep the course tidy by using the rubbish bins provided
- Play in groups of no more than four
- Use your own clubs
Golf Course Layout
Waahi Taakaro is a nine-hole course with ten greens and two tee blocks on each hole, which provide different distances, angles and views second time around. The No 9 and 18 holes share a fairway before they split to different greens.
Those playing 18 holes will have to hit across the river twice – which includes the aptly named Faux Pas No 9 hole which has swallowed many a ball. There is also a steep hill to climb and descend which provides great views at the top and adds an extra challenge.
Enjoy your round – you’re in a beautiful place.