6 - Trevor Horne Heritage Trail
This inner city walk around Church Hill and historic neighbouring sites is named after former City Councillor, Mayor and City of Nelson Civic Trust Chairman, Trevor Horne.
The first site is Fort Arthur, built by the Nelson settlers after the Wairau Affray in 1843 - see the interpretive panel near the back of the Cathedral. Walk down the eastern side of the Cathedral to descend the Church Steps which were donated to the city in 1913 by benefactor Thomas Cawthron. Turn back into the Church Hill grounds to note the Great War Memorial and the site of church service held by Bishop Selwyn in 1842. Turn left into Nile Street, passing Marsden House and the Bishop's School where there is another intrepretive panel. Another left turn into Collingwood Street takes in No. 144 - now a health centre and formerly the Cathedral parsonage.
Retrace your steps back along Nile Street, past the School of Music, then left up Shelbourne Street. Before the road turns right, a short passage and steps lead up to Nelson's second oldest burial ground, the Hallowell Cemetery. There are few headstones remaining, but an interpretive panel indicates the early deaths and arduous life of the settlers. Back in Shelbourne Street a plaque indicates the site of Nelson's first gaol.
Continue along Shelbourne Street to return to Church Hill and from the driveway at the rear of the Cathedral take a right turn, down the path to Nile Street West and into historic South Street. Early cottages have been restored and recently added to, with the Civic Trust building replica homes on the corner of South and Nile Streets.
Walk back towards the Cathedral and on around Trafalgar Square, passing the Rutherford Hotel, named after world renowned physicist Lord Rutherford. Harley's Breweries used to be on this site, and Fifeshire House is the former Harley home, just around the corner.
Wander back to your starting point at the Cathedral through the large deciduous trees of Church Hill. Take a look inside the Cathedral with its impressive stained glass windows.