Grants to avoid or reduce waste at events
These grants have now ended. Details for new grants to follow soon.
Events offer a great opportunity to reduce waste going to landfill and to educate and support people to avoid or reduce the creation of waste.
Apply Now Nelson City Council has a funding pool of $10,000 available for grants to support the avoidance or reduction of waste at events. This funding is available in the form of grants of up to $500, and applications are open from 1 July 2021 until 30 June 2022, or until the fund has been fully allocated. Apply Now!
This fund is in line with our region’s Joint Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (JWMMP):
- Enable our community to avoid or reduce the creation of waste
- Close the loop on resources that would otherwise be wasted (circular economy)
How will it work?
Event organisers meeting the criteria of this fund will be able to apply for up to $500 for their event. Applications will be open from 1July 2021 to 30 June 2022, or until the funds have been used up.
Who can apply for a grant?
Event organisers (school or community).
When can event organisers apply?
Applications are open from 1 July 2021 until 30 June 2022, or until all the funding has been allocated.
- Events must be delivered in the Nelson region.
- Only one grant available per event/event series.
- The grant may only be used to cover the cost of approved costs, services or products directly contributing to avoiding/reducing the creation of waste at a public event (community, school or commercial), but not for costs incurred prior to approval of the grant.
- Applications may be prioritized on where they sit on the waste hierarchy which places greater value on avoiding or reducing waste, before recycling. Therefore activities should include evidence of actions to avoid or reduce waste, as well as recycling if appropriate.
- Where permits or licences are required, these must be provided prior to funding approval.
- Whilst the preference is that applicants should come under the umbrella of a recognised entity with legal status, we recognise that some applicants may not fall into this category. Should this be the case, please discuss this with the Waste Minimisation Programmes Advisor who will put forward a recommendation to the grants panel.
- Applications may be declined where events are in receipt of other Nelson City Council for similar activities.
Who decides if funding is allocated?
Using the criteria described, funding decisions are made at a panel meeting comprising Nelson City Council officers with specialist knowledge in this area.
Contact email@example.com to discuss if further information required
- Complete the application form. A grant application form must be completed (one hour of time from the Council Environmental Programmes Advisor is available if needed – contact firstname.lastname@example.org ). Applications should be made a minimum of fifteen working days before the event. Applicants will receive notification within ten working days if their application has been successful.
- Hold your event.
- Tell us how much waste you managed to avoid/reduce, and submit your invoice for the approved expense within one month of your event.
If you have any queries please contact email@example.com
Applications open 19 October 2020.