Requesting Property Files
If you are looking for property information about a property within the Nelson City Council area the Council can assist e.g. if you are interested in buying a house or looking up the file for your own house.
The General Property Information ('GPI') for a property is available to the public free of charge. The GPI report includes:
- A summary of building and resource consents on the file
- Hazard maps, GPI report
- List of relevant conditions
A Full Property File includes:
- The GPI information above, plus:
- Copies of the relevant Building Consents
- Copies of the relevant Resource Consents
- Other public relevant documents
To view the full contents of the Council Property file there is a property access fee of $20. There is no charge if you are the owner. Customers requiring regular access to property files can either obtain a ‘regular user’ concession card - $80 for 5 property files, or pay an annual user fee of $2,000.
As of September 2021, we have scanned up to Taunton Place. All of X, Y, and Z also scanned.
Streets beginning with "Ta" are currently being scanned. Streets beyond "Ta – Z" are generally not yet scanned. However, some properties are scanned out of sequence, so if you want a "Ta - Z" property we suggest you check with Customer Service first to see if it is scanned or not.
How to Request a property file:
You can request the GPI or the full property file either:
At the Customer Service Centre counter at 110 Trafalgar Street, where you can make your $20 payment via cash, EFTPOS or cheque, if applicable.
Via emailing your request to email@example.com and paying online.
If the full file is available in scanned electronic format we can then provide it to you either on a CD to pick up from the counter or via emailing you a downloadable link.
To make your request online for an electronic file
Step 1. Pay the fee using a credit card via our Online Payments page. Please select the ‘other debtor’ tab and use the reference ‘1999999’ and the amount is $20 (it will charge a 2% transaction bank fee on top). Once paid you will receive an email confirmation.
Step 2. Send the email confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org stating that you have paid, proof attached and would like the full file for the specified address. Please provide both the address and either the valuation number or legal description to ensure we provide you with the right file. State whether you wish it to be copied onto a CD that you will collect, or if you wish it to be emailed back to you via SharePoint. We endeavour to process these requests by the end of the next working day.
Electronic versus paper files
Some of our property files are electronically available and can be electronically downloaded and emailed, while some are still paper files and can only be viewed at the Customer Service Centre counter at 110 Trafalgar Street:
- The General Property Information for all properties (as above)
- Properties located in streets that begin with names A - Q (e.g. Aldinga Street, Quebec Road etc.) are scanned and available electronically. As of February 2020, we have scanned up to St Lawrence Street. (All of X, Y, and Z also scanned).
- New Building Consents lodged since numbers BC140287 – approximately mid-2014 - are all scanned.
- New Resource Consents lodged since approximately April 2018 are all scanned.
- Streets beginning with Ro are currently being scanned. Streets beyond Ro – Z are generally not yet scanned. However, some properties are scanned out of sequence, so if you want an Ro - Z property we suggest you check with Customer Service first to see if it is scanned or not.
- Building Consents lodged before 2014 that are still ‘active’ (i.e. that do not have a CCC Code Compliance Certificate) are still paper files and not scanned.
- Resource Consents that are still ‘active’ (i.e. where the conditions are being monitored) are still paper files and not scanned (except new applications received since April 2018).
- Subdivision resource consents are generally not scanned (except new applications received since April 2018).
If you need to copy any information from a property file the first five photocopies (max A3) size are included in your Property File Access Fee, otherwise fees as follows.
Charge $ (incl GST)