Secondhand Sunday is an opportunity to re-home household goods. It happens across the region - from Tasman Bay to Golden Bay - and is run in partnership with Tasman District Council.
Register now The next Secondhand Sunday is 19 February 2023.
Please note, Secondhand Sunday starts at 9 am and finishes at 2pm.
Secondhand Sunday is a free event where Nelson and Tasman residents can put unwanted items out on their driveway for others to collect. Any uncollected items should be taken back in at the end of the event.
Secondhand Sunday Dates
- 19 Feb 2023 Register
- 21 May 2023
- 20 August 2023
- 19 November 2023
What to do
- Sort and collect your items.
- Register your address so people can find you.
- If you are planning to forage, you will be able to download the participant list from 12pm the Friday before. It will also be available from Council's Customer Service Centre.
- Print the letterbox poster to show on the day. Copies of the poster will also be available from Council's Customer Service Centre.
- Put your items on your driveway before 9am.
- Bring in any remaining items at the end of the day.
What to put out for collection
Please do not include items such as food or dangerous goods, like faulty electrical equipment, chemicals, or firearms. Items should be placed in your driveway and not on the footpath.
The event will take place come rain or shine. It is up to the householder to put items out or not. Please respect the 9am start time. Also, please do not enter the property if there are no items outside on the day.
Please remember you are responsible for taking back indoors anything that isn’t taken on the day. You can also consider donating unwanted items to op shops if they are in good condition – for a list of local opshops check out our opshop map.
If you need to cancel your registration, you can do this up until 5pm of the Thursday before the event. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that we are not able to change registration details after this time, so if you need to cancel at the very last moment, just pop a sign on your letterbox saying you are not taking part.
If you are putting out goods for people to forage, please remember to observe the current COVID-19 guidelines. Learn more on the Government's Covid-19 website. Thank you for helping to keep our community safe.
If you’re planning to forage on the day, please be a considerate collector:
- Wait until 9am before you start foraging, to give everyone a fair chance.
- If you like the look of something, take the whole item. Don't deconstruct or take only parts of an item.
- Pass on a friendly thanks if you see the property owner, and have fun foraging!
- Poster 1 (569KB PDF) - If your items are easy to see from the footpath, print and display this poster on your mailbox.
- Poster 2 (547KB PDF) - If your items are not visible from the footpath, use the blank space on this poster to write instructions on where to find them.
- Poster 3 (580KB PDF) - If you have decided not to put items out, or if everything has been taken, write your own message on this poster and display it on your mailbox.