Nelson Youth Council
The Nelson Youth Council is a group of twenty diverse young people aged 14-24 who work to make the city a better place for youth and to give young people a voice in Nelson.
We aim to have representatives in every secondary school in the Nelson region, as well as NMIT and community representatives. We meet monthly in the Council Chamber to discuss youth issues, actions and projects we have on the go.
Visit our Facebook page for details about Youth Council activities and awesome youth events going on in Nelson.
Youth Council Aims
- Give Nelson youth a real voice
- Discuss and work towards solutions with the Nelson City Council and Nelson youth on issues and projects that concern young people in Nelson
- Bring the needs and concerns of young people to the attention of local and central government
- Assist with Nelson City Council’s planning processes to ensure a youth voice is heard by the Council
- Identify local youth needs and resources (and bring these to attention)
- Provide experience of local government to youth
To carry out these aims we work with Nelson City Council officers and external organisations, such as the electoral office and Smokefree Rockquest. We make submissions to Council, organise and support youth events, and sponsor youth awards. We also run our own projects and initiatives around issues we have found important to young people in the community.
A few things we have done recently include:
- Representative on the Sister City Co-ordinating Group, Creative Communities Assessment panel and the Youth Sector Leadership Group.
- Initiated ‘Tea and Tech’ sessions with Age Concern to foster intergenerational links.
- Presented submissions on: Draft Long Term Plan - 2018-2028, Summer Closure of Upper Trafalgar Street, Nelson City Draft Events Strategy, Brook Reserve Consultation, Joint Waste Management and Minimisation Plan, Nelson City Council Gambling Policy Review, Waimea Road Speed Limit Change.
Two Youth Councillors attend most Nelson City Council and committee meetings to provide a youth voice to Council. We also write articles for Our Nelson to update the public on our work.
We are all about hearing the voice of youth! If you have anything that you think needs to be said feel free to get in contact with one of us or visit our Facebook page so we can represent you!
Contact the Nelson Youth Council through our coordinator, Rachael Large email@example.com