Notice Of 2022 Triennial Local Authority Elections
The following elections will be held by postal vote on Saturday 8 October 2022.
Nelson City Council
(Single Transferable Voting electoral system)
- Election of the mayor
- Election of four councillors for the Central Ward
- Election of four councillors for the Stoke-Tāhunanui Ward
- Election of one councillor for the Whakatū Māori Ward
- Election of three councillors At Large
- Candidate names will be listed in random order on the voting papers.
Nominations for the listed positions open on Friday 15 July 2022 and must be made on the appropriate nomination form for each position. Nomination forms and a candidate information handbook can be found either on the Nelson City Council website, or by request to the electoral officer via the contact options listed below. Completed nomination documents must be received by the electoral officer no later than 12noon on Friday 12 August 2022. Each nomination must be accompanied by a deposit of $200 incl GST, payable by eftpos, cash or on-line banking (see candidate handbook for requirements).
Candidates are encouraged to submit a candidate profile statement and colour photograph with their nomination, for sending out with voting documents to electors. The requirements for profile statements and photos are set out in a candidate handbook which is available with the nomination forms. All nomination documents must be lodged together.
Preliminary electoral rolls for these elections can be inspected at the following locations during office hours from Friday 15 July 2022 to Friday 12 August 2022.
- Nelson City Council office, Civic House, 110 Trafalgar Street Nelson
- Elma Turner Library, 27 Halifax Street, Nelson
- Stoke Library, 35 Putaitai Street, Stoke
- Nightingale Library Memorial, Beach Road Tāhunanui
Electors may enrol or amend their enrolment details on the residential electoral roll by contacting the Electoral Commission:
- Online at www.vote.nz
- By texting your name and address to 3676 to get a form sent to you
- By calling 0800 36 76 56 to ask for a form to be sent to you
- By email request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Updates to the preliminary electoral roll close at 5pm on Friday 12 August 2022.
Applications for registration as a ratepayer elector are to be made on the non-resident ratepayer elector enrolment form available wherever copies of the electoral rolls are displayed and must be returned to the Nelson City Council electoral officer before 5pm Friday 12 August 2022. Online applications for ratepayer elector registration can also be made through the non-resident ratepayer portal: www.electionz.com/ratepayer
Electoral Officer – Nelson City Council
Nelson City Council, 110 Trafalgar Street
0800 666 048