Apply for a building consent
Apply for a consentSave time online with self-service building consent applications - paper applications are no longer required. Our online building consent system allows you to submit, manage and track applications, from anywhere, at any time.
Our online building consent system accepts applications for:
- project information memoranda (PIM)
- building consents
- amendments to building consents
- certificate for public use
- code compliance certificates
Register to login to simpli
Register for a simpli account.
Submit the application:
- Select the application type you want to submit, then follow the prompts on the screen.
- You will need:
- all documents in PDF format, to scale, unlocked
- record of title ¹
- plans ²
- producer statements
- supporting documents specifically relating to this project
- ¹ The record of title must be less than three months old. Title can be obtained from LINZ website at a cost of $15. If the site is new and does not yet have a Title, then a subdivision scheme plan is required. Council do not provide copies of titles.
- ² Your drawings should include the level of detail seen in the building.govt.nz guide
- The owner, or agent (with appropriate authorisation) may submit the application
- The applicant is responsible for identifying which building code clauses are relevant, and how the project will comply
Technical support is available from simpli at support.simpli.govt.nz/portal.
From 1 December 2021 you will be able to pay building consent fees within the simpli portal. Alternatively see general information on how to pay for consent fees.
Once a consent has been issued building work must commence within twelve (12) months of the date of issue. If it does not, the consent will lapse and a new consent must be applied for unless an extension of time to commence work has been applied for and approved by the Building Consent Authority.
Although we do not recommend this option, it is possible to submit your application in person.
A lodgement meeting with the Duty Building Officer is required to submit a paper application. Please phone 03 546 0200 for an appointment.