Nelson Biodiversity Forum
The Nelson Biodiversity Forum is a group of 32 member organisations who work together to identify and align actions to improve Biodiversity in the Nelson area.
The Forum works to implement the Nelson Biodiversity Strategy. The strategy links existing initiatives and actions under a common vision and introduces new actions that address the priority biodiversity management issues in the region.
HOW DOES THE NELSON BIODIVERSITY FORUM WORK?
The Forum meets quarterly to share progress on the implementation of the Nelson Biodiversity Strategy.
Meetings are also an opportunity to educate and share information.
The Forum also provides an opportunity to identify better ways to work collaboratively to provide solutions to some of Nelson’s biodiversity challenges.
Some of the highlights since the formation of the Forum include:
- The creation of Nelson Nature and Healthy Streams, Nelson City Council’s coordinated biodiversity and freshwater programmes
- The successful implementation of Project Maitai, NCC’s programme to restore the health of the Maitai/Mahitahi River
- The development of the Waimea Inlet Strategy and Action Plan and formation of the Waimea Inlet Forum
- The creation of a Living (5.9MB PDF) Heritage Guide (link)
The Biodiversity Forum also has a strong drive to raise the awareness and profile of Nelson’s biodiversity to the wider community.
NELSON BIODIVERSITY FORUM MEMBERS
- Nelson City Council
- Department of Conservation
- The Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Kuia
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Tama
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Kōata
- Port Nelson Limited
- QE II National Trust
- Nelmac Limited
- Nelson Environment Centre
- Federated Farmers of New Zealand – Nelson Province
- Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
- Cawthron Institute
- Cawthron Institute Trust Board
- Fish and Game [Nelson/Marlborough Region]
- Nelson/Tasman Toursim
- Nelson Forests Ltd
- Kaitiaki o Ngahere
- Fish & Wildlife Services Ltd
- Tasman Pine Forests Ltd
- Friends of Nelson Haven & Tasman Bay Inc
- Nelson Tasman Weedbusters
- Ornithological Society of NZ (Nelson Branch)
- Waimea Inlet Forum
- Friends of the Maitai
- The Boathouse Community Trust
- Southern Inshore Fisheries Management Company Ltd
- Friends of the Maitai
- Natureland Wildlife Trust
- Tasman and Golden Bay Guardians
- New Zealand Landcare Trust
HOW TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE NELSON BIODIVERSITY FORUM
If your agency, group, organisation or business has a strong interest in biodiversity in Nelson and is interested in joining the Forum please contact firstname.lastname@example.org