Environmental Grants Scheme
If you are a group or individual working to improve the health of our environment, you may be eligible for an Environmental Grant.
The Environmental Grants Scheme provides funding to support projects that improve the health of Nelson’s natural environment.
Funding of up to $20,000 is available per project in any one year. However, applicants should note that there are limited funds available and grants less than $5,000 are more likely to be successful.
There are two annual funding rounds for the 2021-2022 financial year, in August 2021 and February 2022.
Applications for the August funding round open on Monday 2 August and close Tuesday 7 September 2021.
Priorities for our August 2021 grants round are:
- Community projects* to protect and restore biodiversity by controlling weeds or browsing animals (e.g. goats, possums).
- Community projects* to enhance native wildlife through predator control
- Restoration projects (e.g. planting and weeding) on private properties larger than 1 ha and where there is significant investment of time/resources from the landowners.
- Projects that protect and restore Significant Natural Areas
- Projects that reduce erosion on farming and forestry land.
- Projects that restore waterway margins
*Community projects are those that involve three or more landowners and/or involve public land.
If your project doesn’t meet one or more of these priorities but aims to improve the natural environment in the Nelson region, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project before applying.
If your project involves work in a Nelson City Council Park or Reserve, or a Significant Natural Area on private land, please contact Council at email@example.com, 03 546 0200, to discuss your project before completing the application.
For more information about the Environmental Grants Scheme, see our page Frequently asked questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 03 546 0200